What is fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia syndrome is a chronic disorder which causes pain in all four quadrants of the body. Pain in all four quadrants of the body means that you have pain in both your right and left sides, as well as above and below the waist.
Fibromyalgia is caused by a stress-induced change in your metabolism and healing processes. This condition often develops gradually; beginning in early adulthood and progressing as you age. These metabolic changes are the result of a stress-induced decrease in blood flow to an area of the brain called the pituitary. Subsequently, this decrease in blood flow causes a decrease in the production and distribution of a number of important hormones throughout your body; such as the growth hormone releasing hormone, somatotropin, and the thyroid stimulating hormone.
What are the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
Common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- sleep disturbances,
- morning stiffness,
- irritable bowel syndrome,
- painful menstrual periods,
- numbness or tingling of the extremities,
- restless legs syndrome,
- temperature sensitivity,
- cognitive and memory problems (sometimes referred to as “fibro fog”),
- abnormal muscle healing.
How Ice Arena Chiropractic Clinic can help treat fibromyalgia
Chiropractic does not heal fibromyalgia. Chiropractic care can prevent the loss of movement in your spine and muscles and though promote healing by keeping your spine calm and relaxed. Fibromyalgia causes your muscles to tighten up and lose their natural pliability, which if left untreated can results in a drastic loss of movement in the spine.
Moreover, this loss of spine movement instigates a neurological reflex which causes your muscles to tighten even further. As this cycle worsens over time, fibromyalgia sufferers experience heightened pain, increased muscle tightness, a loss of movement, as well as difficulty sleeping.
Chiropractic care can prevent this cycle by continually adjusting the spine and treating the affected muscles and sustaining its movement.
One of the most significant concerns in treating fibromyalgia sufferers is that their muscles cannot heal adequately. Subsequently, at Ice Arena Chiropractic, our team of experienced practitioners perform gentler chiropractic spinal adjustments in order to decrease the stress on all of the small supporting muscles of the spine which can be easily injured. Moreover, we apply sports massage therapies during chiropractic care which will significantly support your muscles’ healing processes.
Certain day to day lifestyle choices can also significantly impact the effects of fibromyalgia. These lifestyle changes can reduce your pain, enable you to remain more active, and permit you to experience a better quality of life. These include:
- Getting enough sleep,
- Moderate aerobic and other low impact exercises such as walking and swimming,
- Making changes at work, (for example; reducing the number of hours at work, finding a job which will allow you to have a flexible schedule, or switching to a less physically demanding job),
- Avoid foods which can be stressful for your body to process such as dairy, eggs, wheat, corn, as well as anything with monosodium glutamate (MSG), nitrates or nitrites (which are commonly found in processed foods),
- Eat as much clean, organically grown whole foods as possible such as brown rice, legumes, oats, spelt, rice milk, soy, hormone-free chicken or turkey, roots, nuts and berries,
- Take nutritional supplements such as magnesium malate and ginkgo biloba amongst others.